The era of COVID has exposed both students and educators to the effects of asynchronous learning. Prior to the pandemic, I have never taken an online course or used the current technology as a means of learning. This has definitely been a time of new experiences as everyone is navigating themselves through this difficult and stressful time while learning the new technology.

As discussed in class, both synchronous and asynchronous learning has positive and negatives.

Synchronous Learning

The ideal situation would definitely be being back in the classroom surrounded by my peers and professors. It is a lot easier to connect and communicate with one another in a face-to-face setting. I find that I am more focused in class and absorb more information. I also think it is necessary to have that separation between home and school. I think that because I am doing most of my zoom calls from my bedroom, it does not feel like a workspace where I can focus and get things done. Along with my chaotic household filled with people and animals, learning from home is a very different experience from being in a classroom.

Asynchronous Learning

I have struggled quite a bit adjusting to zoom learning and asychronous working. I have noticed there are benefits to this method of learning. The biggest benefit being breakout rooms. Without this technology I probably would not have met or worked with a majority of my cohort. Breakout rooms has allowed me to expand my connections and have more diverse conversations with many different people.

I do hope by next year we are back to sychronous in person classes but if they are not I can work with continuing asychronous learning. I have learned quite a bit and have explore various technologies that I have not previously been exposed to, and for that I am grateful.

Photo by Marvin Meyer on Unsplash