I recently watched the documentary, Most Likely to Succeed, directed by Greg Whiteley and produced by Ted Dintersmith. This documentary showcases an approach to education and curriculum that may differ from what we are familiar with. The school High Tech High focuses on inquiry-based, student-run learning.

When I began the film, I was confused as to how a school with this system could possibly work. I grew up with the standard and traditional form of learning so, inquiry-based projects is not a concept I am used to. Initially, I began to wonder how students are able to learn all the concepts in the curriculum that they are supposed to and will the students truly be prepared for life after high school. My question on student preparation for the future can not be fully answered because High Tech High has not been around long enough for further research to be done. The school system and curriculum has not changed much in the many years since its creation, yet advancements in technology, as well as the world, have changed rapidly. It may be necessary to adapt the current system even if there may not be enough evidence yet of how well it works. I did notice the change that these students went through in the one year of attending this type of school, and how much they enjoyed their time there. Furthermore, I could see the determination in the kids, where even if they failed they were willing to try again.

Photo Credits: Header by Windows on Unsplash